What's Possible with Ultem?
Ultem® (polyetherimide) is a semi-transparent, high-strength plastic material that is resistant to hot water and steam and can operate in high-temperature environments. Ultem® has one of the highest dielectric strengths of any thermoplastic material.
Among its advantages:
- Chemically resistant to chlorine and acidic/caustic cleaning agents.
- Can be used in temperatures up to 340˚ Fahrenheit.
- Highly flame-resistant.
- Highly machinable.
It is because Ultem® resins are so resistant to heat, solvents and flame that Ultem® is the material of choice for a wide variety of items, including:
- Semiconductor equipment components
- Electrical insulation parts
- Electrical connectors
- Scientific equipment parts
- Medical components
- Aircraft instruments
Ultem® has two options:
- Ultem® 1000 comes is a unreinforced 1000 series plastic that is translucent amber in color and combines exceptional mechanical, thermal and electrical properties.
- Ultem® 2300 is a glass fiber reinforced plastic in the 2000 series. It has better tensile strength, stiffness and overall dimensional stability.